its name from the presence once of a monastery of begging friars.
There are no traces left of that monastery nowadays.
In 1175 the commune
of Montecerconi was property of the Earls Spadalonga and was
then suppressed to be annexed to the commune of Asciano.
The hamlet of Torre
a Castello derives its name from the castle of the Sienese Republic
that was knocked down in 1527. Only the ancient walls have been
Overlooking the village there's a villa that was property of
the Piccolominis, the family of Pope Pio II